Winter Garden’s original fire station, located at 127 South Boyd Street, was built during the Great Depression with funds secured by Mayor George Walker from the Works Progress Administration (WPA) initiated under President Franklin D. Roosevelt. In order to apply to the WPA for funding, the mayor and fire chief Hoyle Pounds needed to submit plans and a rendering of the proposed building. Franklin Cappleman, a young college student at the time, had just completed an architectural drafting class at Georgia Tech and was recruited to draw up the plans. The building was constructed in 1938 according to his very amateur drawings.
The fire department’s siren was located on the adjacent water tower and could be activated by a switch from either the fire station or the Pounds Motor Company once located at 162 West Plant Street. The two locations shared a telephone party line so that when a fire was reported, both were notified. Long-time Winter Garden residents remember that the siren went off every day at noon, signaling lunch time.
The Old Fire Station in Winter Garden is a historic structure that was previously used by the city’s Recreation Department, later housed various businesses, and now preserves our heritage by living on with new purpose as the new 127 SOBO Art Gallery, home of the Winter Garden Art Association.
2017-18 Board of Directors
Paul Gerding, Chair
Mary Keating, Vice Chair
Susan House, Secretary
Stephanie Abell, Treasurer
Elizabeth McKinney (Past Chair)
Nathanael (RT) Lovato